10 Best Razors for Men 2017
It’s time to step away from those dull, poorly made, cheap razors that do nothing more than leave you with nicks, cuts and razor burn. The best razor for men who take the shaving seriously should NOT leave you sporting those unsightly tissue squares. C’mon guys, we’re all past that, right?
Instead, your razor should give you exactly what you are after – a quick, decent shave that leaves you content with the result, be it,
- An all-off clean shaven look.
- Perfectly shaped up sideburns.
- A smooth feeling beard.
Here are ten of the best razors available today. We’ve even thrown in an up close review of the top three to help guide your choice.
What Types of Razors Will I Have to Choose From?
Since the best razor for someone else won’t necessarily be the best for you, it’s good to know what your options are before you start shopping.
- Safety Razors. Safety razors are typically made with a durable metal handle and require that you replace the thin metal blade as needed. Blades will generally last for five shaves.
- Cartridge Razors. These are made with a (usually) plastic handle and replaceable head or cartridge which holds up to 6 blades. They also often feature lubricating strips for a smoother shave. Users of cartridge razors tend to get around a dozen shaves per cartridge.
- Disposable Razors. You can expect to get roughly four shaves from a disposable razor, then as the name suggests – you throw the whole thing away. The cheapest brands are often notorious for leaving you with nicks and razor bumps. Generally, disposable razors are great for traveling or for when your regular razor isn’t available.
Top 10 Razors for Men Chart
|Picture||Name||What You Get||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||What You Get||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. VIKINGS BLADE The Chieftain Safety Razor||The razor, 5 platinum coated blades and a travel case with mirror||$$$||4.8|
|2. GoBetter® Deluxe Double Edge Safety Razor||The razor and 5 platinum-chrome stainless steel blades||$||4.7|
|3. Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor||The razor||$$||4.5|
|4. Dorco Pace 6 Plus- Six Blade Razor System||The razor and 10 replacement cartridges||$||4.5|
|5. Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men's Razor||The razor and one blade||$||4.5|
|6. Gillette Mach3 Men's Disposable Razor||6 disposable razors||$||4.5|
|7. Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor||The razor||$$$$||4.5|
|8. Edwin Jagger DE89bl Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor||The razor and 5 safety blades||$$||4.4|
|9. Gillette Fusion5 ProShield Chill Men's Razor||The razor||$||4.4|
|10. Shaveology Double Edge Safety Razor Wet Shave Kit||The razor, 5 replacement blades, a polishing cloth and a blade protector||$$||4.4|
What Should I Be Thinking About as I Go Through Razor Options?
Sleek, shiny, stylish and sophisticated – there are razors a-plenty to fill those categories.
You should be looking for something more, however, to ensure your razor is helping you to take care of your skin.
- Hygiene. If hygiene is uppermost in your mind (as it should be!) then go with razors that feature stainless steel blades. These blades also provide premium sharpness.
- Maintenance. A part of keeping your razor hygienic is how easily you can clean it. Rinse and wipe the blades often to keep them free of debris.
- Maneuverability. A flex hinge for angling, a weighted body, and a smaller grip can all help to make shaving easier, and much more like the razor is actually doing the shaving for you.
- Reputation. Reviews, like the one you’re reading right now, are always extremely helpful when you’re shopping for anything. Find out what others have to honestly say about a razor brand and model to help you decide if it is one you want to try.
Top 5 Best Razor for Men Reviews
First up, it’s good to know that the VIKINGS BLADE The Chieftain Safety Razor comes with an international lifetime warranty. That says a lot about how much the company believes in its product. It also gives you a good idea why this is so often called the best razor for men.
The razor includes five super sharp Swedish steel, platinum-coated blades as accessories. When you need to change a blade, it’s a quick 5-second process thanks to the razor’s convenient butterfly style opening.
The razor’s handle is really quite impressive. It’s made of stainless steel and includes a mix of brass and bronze alloy. It also features a heavy coating of chrome for an enviable shine.
In terms of actual use, we found one of this double-edged razor’s highest points to be how well it allows you to get a really clean shave. The VIKINGS BLADE The Chieftain Safety Razor is nicely weighted, so it assists each stroke. The company says it specializes in the BBS (baby butt smooth) shave and with this razor that’s exactly what it gives.
What gets the GoBetter® Deluxe Double Edge Safety Razor up into second place in our quest for the best razor for men? For starters, there’s the control you feel when you use it. That can be attributed, in part, to the handle’s textured designed which lets you grip it securely even if your hands are wet.
There’s also the fact that this razor has a good bit of heft to it. You can rely on it to give you a clean, close shave without you having to apply excess pressure, which could then lead to accidental cuts.
In terms of maintenance, the razor has a one-piece design with a butterfly opening. No need to worry about fitting two or three separate parts back together with each blade change. The GoBetter® Deluxe Double Edge Safety Razor is also just simply good to look at and its copper alloy body has a coating of chrome for an attractive, shiny finish.
No doubt about it, every list of the best razors for men you come across has a Merkur on it. (Our top ten actually has two!) That’s because their razors are made to last while giving you a superb shaving experience.
This model, the Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor, is meant for persons with larger hands. Its sleek and shiny metal handle has a textured pattern to ensure a firm grip, so you don’t have to worry about the razor slipping as you use it.
Blade replacement is a little bit trickier than with a razor that has a butterfly opening (there is some unscrewing and screwing to do here). It’s not exactly rocket science, though, and gets easier and quicker each time.
What sets the Dorco Pace 6 Plus- Six Blade Razor System with Trimmer apart is its six-blade system. They help you to get a smooth, clean stroke with each pass of the razor. The weighted handle features a rubberized grip ensuring maximum control as you wet-shave.
The Dorco Pace 6 Plus- Six Blade Razor System with Trimmer comes with an open flow cartridge design that makes cleaning the blades easy and effective. Just rinse under running water and any debris caught in the cartridge washes away.
Another thing we like about this razor are the large rubber fins that help to prepare and protect your skin as you shave. Also, a nice touch is the fact that the lubricating strip is both moisturizer and soothing.
Some guys are simply Gillette-men – they just love how Gillette’s range of products work and are super satisfied with the results. Well, it seems the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men’s Razor with FlexBall Handle Technology is here to get a few more converts on-board!
The FlexBall Technology in the handle allows the razor to closely follow the contours of your face for a smooth and even shave. The blades are Gillette’s finest, which makes them effective at eliminating tugging and pulling along with nicks and cuts.
Other good selling points include the blade stabilizer; the streamlined comfort guard; and the MicroComb, all of which add to the closeness and comfort of the shave.