10 Best Hair Waxes for Men 2017
Want to play with your style without going overboard? Give hair wax a try. It can let you go from sleek to spiky to controlled or wild. Hair wax is a good option both for maintaining your look and for mixing things up every so often.
You will have to choose carefully, however, since some types of hair wax fall apart after a couple of hours, leaving you with the kind of messy look you definitely do NOT want.
The best hair wax for men holds your style without being shiny or greasy. It comes across as being really natural so people might believe you rolled out of bed with your hair looking that way!
Top 10 Hair Waxes for Men Comparison Chart
|1. TIGI Bed Head B for Men Matte Separation Workable Wax||3 ounces||$||4.5|
|2. GATSBY MOVING RUBBER SPIKY EDGE Hair Wax||2.8 ounces||$||4.5|
|3. Maneuver Work Wax Unisex Wax by Redken||3.4 ounces||$$||4.5|
|4. Premium Styling Wax For Men - K+S Salon Quality Hair Care Products||2 ounces||$$||4.4|
|5. Schwarzkopf Osis Flexwax Ultra Strong Cream Wax||1.7 ounces||$$||4.3|
|6. Jovinno Premium Hair Styling Pomade / Hair Wax||5 ounces||$$$$||4.3|
|7. Mister Pompadour Natural Beeswax Paste||2 ounces||$$$||4.2|
|8. Got2b Phenomenal Grooming Hair Wax||3.5 ounces||$$||4.1|
|9. Hair Wax for Men - Strong Hold Styling Formula||2 ounces||$$||4.1|
|10. Old Spice Swagger Hair Putty Styling Fiber Wax||2.64 ounces||$$$||4.0|
Ever Wonder How Hair Wax Differs from Other Hair Products?
So many hair styling product variations exist that it can be hard to distinguish how one type differs from the next. Let’s quickly examine a few of them.
- Pomades. These tend to be slick, greasy, petroleum-based products that work well if you style your hair with a comb. Nowadays, there are water-based pomades that wash out easily but do not hold styles as well.
- Waxes. These products give a lighter hold when compared to pomades. They are not as shiny and allow for easy styling with either your fingers or a comb. They don’t harden or get dry over time.
- Clays. Strictly speaking, hair clay should contain some form of clay, with bentonite being a common choice. It’s has a very fine, velvety consistency and expands a great deal on contact with water, giving your hair the appearance of extra body.
- Pastes. These are somewhat thicker than a pomade and work well with most hair types. They add a little shine while leaving your hair with a natural-looking matte finish. Some thick versions need to be warmed between your palms before application.
What Benefits Should I Get from the Hair Wax I Buy?
Opting to go with a hair wax gives you certain hairstyling advantages. Those benefits are behind the growing popularity that hair waxes currently enjoy.
- They Remain Soft. They give you an edgy look without a rock-hard hold since they won’t harden like gels and mousses tend to do.
- They Work for Different Hair Lengths. Whether your hair is short, medium length or long, a top-quality hair wax allows you to style your hair as you like (and keep it that way).
- They Are Versatile. Most likely your style will change from one occasion to the next. Hair wax allows you to interchange your looks so you can be frizzy one day, then bouncy, fluffy or spiked the next. Waxes tend to give more hold when applied to wet or damp hair. That, along with how much you use will affect the end result.
- They Are Easy to Use. Simply warm a small amount in the palms of your hands then spread it through your hair (all over or just in certain sections, depending on the style you are creating).
Top 3 Best Hair Wax for Men Reviews
Coming out on top in our search for the best hair wax for men is the TIGI Bed Head B for Men Matte Separation Workable Wax. This pliable wax goes on with a natural matte finish and leaves your hair with a natural feel, as well.
It might feel a bit sticky between your fingers, but that stickiness isn’t really there when you apply the wax to your hair. If someone were to run their fingers through your hair, they would hardly notice you have a hair product in it.
TIGI Bed Head B for Men Matte Separation Workable Wax holds well throughout the day regardless of how active you get and when you’re ready to remove it, it washes out very easily (better with warm water than cold). In terms of scent, it lightly fragranced so you can wear your regular colognes without a clash of fragrances.
Gatsby has a long line of Moving Rubber hair waxes; each formulated a little differently to achieve a unique result. If you want a spiked style that will stay spiked all day long, the best hair wax to choose is the Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge; this is their hardest wax and is by far their most popular.
It’s pretty strong stuff, so be careful to start out with just a small amount and add a little extra if you need to. Definitely don’t overdo it, as it may take a couple of shampoos to remove all traces of the wax from your hair.
The fragrance comes across kind of like a mild green apple scent. So mild in fact, that someone standing next to you might not notice it and certainly won’t be put off by it.
“Gentle yet effective” is the description that springs to mind after using Maneuver Work Wax Unisex Wax by Redken. While it does have superior hold power, this wax is creamy and spreads easily. Once applied, it’s styling power lasts all day without any flaking, crusting or other embarrassing results.
Pleasant smelling and more matte than shiny, the Maneuver Work Wax Unisex Wax by Redken can be applied to slightly damp or dry hair. It works somewhat better, however, in shorter than longer hair. This wax doesn’t form any annoying build up and can be washed out with minimal effort. The generous 3.4-ounce tub should last you for a few weeks even with regular use.