10 Best Straight Razors for Beginners 2017
The straight razor was pretty much the only shaving option that existed before the 1950’s when safety razors came on the scene. Cartridge razors and disposable razors weren’t far behind, and it seemed that except for a few die-hard users, the straight razor was facing sure extinction.
Luckily, in recent times two things have happened:
- We have become more environmentally conscious.
- The good word about how incredibly well straight razors work has spread far and wide.
Now, straight razors are making a comeback and oh, how sweet it is! We’ll show you the best straight razor for beginners ready to take a walk on the manlier side of shaving.
Straight Razor Tips for Beginners
Straight razor use requires a certain amount of practice and skill. These tips can help beginners minimize some of the expected cuts and nicks new users experience.
- Research Is Important. If you don’t have a straight razor user you can call on for guidance, do the next best thing. There are tons of videos online with long-time users offering valuable advice on how to properly use a straight razor.
- Start Modestly. Expert shavers may be willing to spend hundreds of dollars for a custom straight razor to get the very best quality. As a beginner, however, a cheaper (NOT CHEAP!) version will suit you just fine.
- Go for Shave-Ready. A straight razor that does not use disposable blades will need stropping before each use and regular sharpening. To begin with, however, go for one that comes ready to use out of the box. That way you familiarize yourself with the razor before attempting to hone it yourself.
- Prepare Your Beard. Soften hairs with a warm towel and apply both a shave oil and shaving cream.
Top 10 Straight Razor for Beginners Chart
|Picture||Name||Replacement Blades||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||Replacement Blades||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Feather SS Folding Handle Razor||None||$$$||4.7|
|2. Straight Razor - Shaving Kit 100 Shark Razor Blades Single||50 double edge blades||$$||4.6|
|3. Classic Samurai CS-102 Matte Black Folding Straight Razor||100 single edge blades||$||4.4|
|4. Parker Safety Razor Heavy Duty Professional Stainless Steel Straight Edge Barber Razor||5 single edge blades||$$||4.4|
|5. Pure Wood Shaving Razor / Cut Throat Razors / Shavette Razor||5 double edge blades||$||4.3|
|6. Parker SRW Stainless Steel Straight Edge Barber Razor||100 single edge blades||$$||4.1|
|7. Shaving Straight Razor 6/8" GD w/Box 208 Gold Dollar Straight Razor||Does not use replacement blades||$$$||4.0|
|8. Dovo Silver Shavette Satin Finish Straight Razor||None||$$||3.9|
|9. Dovo Full Hollow Carbon Steel 5/8" Straight Razor||Does not use replacement blades||$$$$||3.9|
|10. Equinox International Barber Straight Edge Razor||100 single edge blades||$||3.6|
Straight Razor for Beginners Shopping Tips
Many straight razors on the market today give users the convenience of replaceable blades (these razors are often called “shavettes”). The more genuine straight razors, however, need to be sharpened and maintained. Take a while to decide which is right for you. Whichever one you choose, you will also need.
- A Shaving Brush. Badger hair and synthetic brushes are the two most popular choices. While the badger hair is of higher quality, it will cost you more.
- Shaving Cream. Go for a good quality shaving cream that will give you a rich, thick lather, though it might be more expensive. All-natural creams are a good choice.
- A Shaving Cup or Scuttle. This is really optional but does give you the feel that you are dedicated to straight razor use. Plus, many specially made cups are sufficiently wide for a shaving brush and made of durable ceramic.
Persons who decide to go with a genuine straight razor will also need the following accessories.
- A Hone. Whetstone is the most commonly used type of hone. Ceramic hones are typically used by barber and are not as readily available. Generally, you will need to hone your razor’s blade every 6-7 weeks.
- A Hone. Stropping is done before every shave to smooth out the razor. Strops are typically made of leather or canvas.
Top 3 Best Straight Razor for Beginners Reviews
The Feather SS Folding Handle Razor has pride of place as our pick for the best straight razor for beginners. What makes this razor so good is that it’s light yet well balanced and fits well between your fingers. You feel in control as you glide the razor over your skin.
The spring-loaded blade head has a one-touch mechanism, making both cleaning and blade replacement easy. (It is recommended that you use Feather Artist Club blades as your replacements.) To maintain proper hygiene, the Feather SS Folding Handle Razor can be disinfected by boiling it or cleaning it with ethanol.
It’s a sturdy razor made with a heat and chemical resistant stainless steel body. The enamel of its handle is actually engineered resin which is heat resistant up to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. All of that is good to know since the Feather SS Folding Handle Razor is the most expensive model among our top three with only two others out of the top ten costing more.
The Classic Necessity Straight Razor – Shaving Kit fits all the criteria that the best straight razor for beginners should. It has a handy Starter Guide for setting up and using the razor. Plus, it comes with 50 double edge shaving blades. You snap each in half for a total of 100 replacement blades and up to a year’s worth of shaving.
The Classic Necessity Straight Razor is made of durable stainless steel and is both rust and tarnish-free. It is also a relatively inexpensive razor, making it ideal for guys new to this type of shaving who want to try it out with a good quality, affordable razor before moving on to a costlier one.
100 single edge individually wrapped blades come with the Classic Samurai CS-102 Matte Black Folding Straight Razor. That’s a good many months’ worth of shaving, and while it’s truly convenient, it’s still not the reason for this straight razor’s claim to fame.
What helps to set the Classic Samurai CS-102 Matte Black Folding Straight Razor apart is the top quality surgical grade stainless steel of which it is made. This razor fits well between your fingers and is beautiful to look at. We like the ergonomic curve of this razor and the metal’s sophisticated-looking black matte finish.
The Classic Samurai CS-102 Matte Black Folding Straight Razor is meant for both at-home and barbershop use. Beginners will definitely like that the end of the blade compartment is rounded to help keep nicks and cuts down to a minimum.