Best Aftershave for Men 2020
How is it possible for us to reveal the best aftershave for men when each man has different preferences, you ask?
Because we have a little something for everyone.
Since we know that the perfect aftershave doesn’t exist (each pair of nostrils reads into them differently!), below we highlight the most popular scents for the modern man in today’s world.
Whether you’re fond of a more classic, manly scent, or something light and fresh for the business world, have a look at the top choices on our list below.
A Few Things to Consider
Before you select an aftershave, here are a few things to consider:
- Any Skin Sensitivities? If you have sensitive skin or a skin condition, then proceed with caution when choosing an aftershave.Alcohol and fragrance-free aftershaves might be best if you have sensitive skin. Many men prefer aftershave for the scent and not for the skin benefits, so make sure you choose something that won’t irritate or dry you out.Instead of using the aftershave for the scent, use your cologne for that and make sure your skin care products are safe for you.
- Use. Remember, gentlemen, there is a time and a place for your aftershave.If you have an important business meeting or just a regular day at the office, you probably don’t want to be known as the guy who took a bath in his aftershave or cologne.For a night out on the town, whether you’re headed to a club or for a romantic dinner with your significant other, then you might want to opt for something a little stronger to grab the attention of those around you.It might be worth your while to have several scents on hand so you can match the occasion with the aftershave.
Top 10 Aftershaves for Men Complete Chart
|1. Royal Copenhagen By Royal Copenhagen For Men. Aftershave Lotion 8 Ounces||8 ounces||$$$||4.6|
|2. Pre de Provence Shea Butter Enriched Men's After Shave Balm, 2.5 Ounce||2.5 ounces||$$||4.6|
|3. Lather & Wood Shaving Co. After-Shave Balm||2.8 ounces||$$$||4.5|
|4. Baxter of California After Shave Balm, 4 fl. oz.||4 ounces||$$$||4.5|
|5. Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Aftershave, 2.5 Fluid Ounces (Pack of 3)||2.5 ounces||$$$||4.5|
|6. Proraso Liquid After Shave Cream, 3.4 Ounce||3.4 ounces||$$||4.5|
|7. Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion, 6 Ounce||6 ounces||$||4.5|
|8. Bay Rum Aftershave Splash for Men - 4oz. of The Finest, All Natural, Premium Ingredients||4 ounces||$$$$||4.4|
|9. Shea Moisture Tea Tree After Shave & bump preventer herbal elixir 4 fl oz||4 ounces||$||4.4|
|10. Old Spice Classic Scent After Shave 4.25 Fl Oz||4.25 ounces||$||4.3|
No matter what name you want to give it – aftershave moisturizer, aftershave lotion, aftershave splash, aftershave liquid, post shave balm –it all goes on your face after you shave.
Here are the differences:
- Balm/Lotion. When you shave in a hurry or were a bit rough with the razor, an aftershave balm or lotion will help soothe and moisturize your skin.
They are usually alcohol-free and act more as a moisturizer rather than a disinfectant. Be kind to your delicate skin!
- Splash. A splash helps tone the skin and acts as an antiseptic. It will help tighten skin and reduce the appearance of pores, and the strong scentis appealing to men who don’t like to wear cologne.
What exactly are you smelling when you take a whiff of aftershave? These notes, as they are referred to, are source of the smells that you are detecting.
There are top notes, middle notes and base notes, ranging from:
- Spicy. Deriving from cloves, nutmeg or cinnamon
- Woody. Hints of plant roots and trees
- Fresh. A light floral or citrus smell
Trial and Error
If you’ve been to the aftershave and cologne section of a store, then you’ve probably picked up a few bottles and smelled the contents.
By the time you reach the fourth one, everything starts to get a little hazy. Your nostrils are overwhelmed by the different scents and nothing smells good any more.
Don’t over smell! You may be cheating yourself out of some great aftershaves because at the time you smelled it, it was unlucky bottle number four.
Sniff one, try it on, and then go about your day. See if you like it before you introduce other scents to your nose and confuse your sense of smell.
As with any liquid or cream that you put on your skin, the scent can vary from body to body. You may like it when you open the bottle and take a whiff, but find that once you have worn it, it’s not quite the smell you were hoping for.
To 5 Best Aftershave for Men Reviews
This popular men’s lotion seems to have a bit of everything that a lot of men want in an aftershave. It starts out with a light, powdery-fresh scent with top notes of citrus and lavender, middle notes of cedar and roots, and earthly base notes like tobacco, musk and vanilla.
It has a manly smell that makes you feel like you just got a shave at the barbershop, perfect for the distinguished gentleman who wants to keep the classic scents of the past alive.
After you’ve showered and shaved for your evening out on the town, be sure to splash a bit on your face.
If you have sensitive skin and you are looking for something naturalthat will moisturize it, try the Pre de Provence Shea Butter Aftershave Balm.
This natural aftershave is paraben-free, alcohol-free, phenoxyethanol-free and DEA-free. The shea butter, shea oil and grape seed oil will leave your skin feeling hydrated and soft after your shave and it will help heal any nicks and cuts.
Perfect for men who don’t necessarily need a strong fragrance from their aftershave nor a scent that competes with their cologne.
The best aftershave for men soothes, moisturizes and it heals your skin post-shave, which is exactly what this balm will do on your face!
Alcohol-free and unscented, this is another great aftershave balm that will help soothe razor burn and gives you a smooth, fresh feel after every shave.
Lather & Wood’s natural formula is perfect for those with sensitive skin. It’s the perfect addition to your shaving routine. Forget the cheap, chemical-filled grocery store brands.
A quality product like this is skin-friendly and will last you for quite a few shaves!
Another great balm to help cool, calm and condition your skin after you shave.
This alcohol-free formula contains glycerin, aloe vera and allantoin to help soothe and protect your skin after you’ve shaved. Since many of the soaps and products you use can dry out your skin, the organic silicones work with the allantoin, aloe vera, tea tree oil and menthol will give you that cool, refreshing feel that you love after every shave.
You’ll love the all-natural formula of this Burt’s Bees Aftershave. No stinging, no burning, just a calm, soothing feel that will moisturize your skin and help reduce redness and irritation after those rough shaves.
The sunflower oil and coconut oil work with the vitamin E to help nourish your skin without leaving a greasy, slimy feel.
It has a fresh, smell with hints of sandalwood, citrus and tobacco that give you the fragrance of a classic aftershave with all the benefits of a skin-friendly cream.
Burt’s Bees, along with Baxter of California, Lather & Wood and Pre de Provence all make some amazing aftershaves, but if you’re looking for the classic lotions that have a stronger fragrance, check out the other great brands on our list!